- Hotel pickup and drop-off from hotels in South Zone (Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon and Leme)
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Languages offered on activity/tour: English, Spanish, French, Portuguese – German and Italian upon request
ITINERARYThe Favela Tour is the perfect opportunity to live Rio de Janeiro from a different perspective. With almost 1,000 favelas that house about 20% of the population, Rio has a social reality that remains unknown for most people that do not live in the city.
After being picked up at your hotel, listen to comments about the historical and social context of favelas in Rio de Janeiro and Brazil. After arriving in the favela of Rocinha, the largest in Brazil, learn more about the creative architecture, public services, local cultural aspects and carnival’s influence - most samba schools in the carnival parade come from the favelas. Feel welcomed by locals that support your visit, which changes the common perspective of favela being related to violence and poverty.
Visit the Rocinha handicraft center, then get to know more about security and infrastructure policies in the favela’s everyday life from a local terrace with an outstanding view over Rocinha and Rio de Janeiro. Stop by the community schools “Moranguinhos” and “Saci Sabe Tudo”, social projects financed by the Favela Tour that offer regular classes and after-school activities such as ballet, music and English classes.
Take the “Estrada da Gávea”, famous for being the stage of Rio’s first motor races in the 1920s and 1930s, and pass by the commercial and central area. Arriving at favela of Vila Canoas, walk through the community and its alleyways. Do a quick optional stop for a drink in a “boteco”, a typical local dive bar. Visit the community square and learn about the urban projects and other government initiatives carried out for residents’ benefit.
Favela Tour is a must-do experience to have an insider’s point of view of the city and to understand the Brazilian society. Part of the revenue of the Favela Tour is invested in social initiatives in the favelas of Rocinha and Vila Canoas.
PICKUP & DROPOFF
- Daily tours leaving in the morning or in the afternoon.
- Expected time in the morning: between 8:00am and 9:00am (departure) and 1:00pm (return) - subject to change according to the traffic conditions.
- Expected time in the afternoon: between 1:00pm and 2:00pm (departure) and 5:00pm (return) - subject to change according to the traffic conditions.
- Sundays: departures only at 10:00am
- Roundtrip transportation from Rio de Janeiro's South Zone (Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon and Leme).
- Please contact the company responsible for the tour to confirm the pickup time and availability.
- Roundtrip transportation via air-conditioned vehicle.
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Professional guide with live tour commentary in English, Spanish, French, Portuguese – German and Italian upon request.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from hotels in South Zone (Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon and Leme) – if you’re not staying at one of the
hotels in our pickup list you will be informed of the nearest pickup point and time.
- Drinks and meals
- Gratuities (optional)
- There is a minimum of passengers for the tour to happen, please check the availability to receive confirmation
- Children must be accompanied by an adult - 12 and younger are complimentary
- Roundtrip transportation from Rio de Janeiro's South Zone (Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon and Leme) via air-conditioned vehicle
- Please inform the name of your hotel to confirm the nearest pickup point and time.
- This tour operates rain or shine
- At least 1 calendar day in advance, full refund.
- No refunds for cancellations on the day of the tour.